Sunday, September 2, 2012

Are You Ready?


The nights have been cooler, even chilly, but the days still strive for 80s or more. Preseason football games have showed us a bunch of guys who will probably end up on the practice squad, the bench, or back at their day jobs. The biting, dive-bombing, ear and mouth loving bugs are dying off. And I have a week off from work.

I love the fall. Sure, according to the calendar, it’s not fall yet, and we’re still due another hot and humid heat wave, if not two, but to me fall starts with the football season.  Football is the only sport I truly enjoy watching. It’s not just for the easy jokes about tight ends, penetration, and going long either. I enjoy the competition, the rough hits, the incredible catches, and the choreographed plays on both sides of the ball.

I also love this time of year for the hiking. Yesterday it was brutally hot, but today, the thermometer has barely moved since the sun rose. There are no Patriot games until next Sunday, but there’s a cool, crisp day out there inviting me on a lazy hike through the woods behind the high school where it’s easy to forget there’s a highway and a city nearby.

Labor Day heralds in the changing of the seasons for me, and a change to a season that returns me to my mental and spiritual home: Mother Nature. Now if only we had a game this weekend, it’d be the perfect start to vacation.

Are you ready for some football? 

Yes. Yes, I am.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails