Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Movies - Mr. Brooks

I love going to the movies, the whole experience. A huge tub of hot buttered popcorn. Cushy stadium theater seating. *sigh* Okay, I get very annoyed by those people who insist on using their cell phones during the show or are rude in other ways, like kicking the back of my seat, but overall, I still love it.

Last night I went out to dinner and then saw Mr. Brooks. The cast includes Kevin Costner, William Hurt, Demi Moore, Marg Helgenberger. Great line up, psuchological thriller, should have resulted in a great movie. IMHO, it was a total flop!

Mr. Brooks (Costner) is a successful, somewhat geeky, businessman with a murderous alter ego, Marshall (Hurt). Detective Atwood (Moore) is the cop who is out to catch him. A great deal of the movie is spent with Costner and Hurt driving around in an old Volvo wagon and bordered between being silly and stupid. They have a whole set of rules for killing, which Mr. Brooks breaks when his daughter quits college because she's pregnant. It turns out the daughter also gets off on the thrill of killing, but has not done it well enough not to get caught. Mrs. Brooks (Helgenberger) is of course clueless that her husband and daughter are psychos.

The movie had me keeping a close eye on my watch, counting down the minutes until it would be over. The movie didn't begin to hold my attention, and there wasn't even one of those scary moments that makes you gasp. I was totally disappointed.

1 comment:

Amanda Young said...

That's a shame, Nic. I was hoping this one would be good. There seem to be so few good movies out anymore. Glad I hadn't already wasted my money on this one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails