Saturday, September 22, 2007

Falling in Love All Over Again

I'm currently working on edits for my next M/M story. As part of my personal editing process, after going through the manuscript on the computer screen, I print it out and read it again. Sometimes the act of seeing something in a different font, on a different medium, makes those little mistakes jump out. Plus, I get a chance to read all about my hunky men on horseback again.

Edits can be grueling. I can't think of an author who unequivocally loves doing edits. But self-editing is a necessary part of the writing process. For me, one of the joys of reading through my work multiple times means I get to fall in love with my characters again.

Over and over again.

You see, if I can't fall in love with my characters and the story, then I'm pretty sure a reader can't either. And if I've read something four times, and I still end with a smile on my face from having a satisfying read, then I know it's a good book. That doesn't mean it won't need more polishing or even a critique partner or two to hack it to bits. But deep down, in spite of whatever flaws the story may have at this stage of the game, it's a good, solid love story.

If I didn't love the characters the first time, I wouldn't have written their story. Working with the prose and falling in love with them again...well, that's what makes this writer smile. And hoepfully, when it's all said and done, you too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails