Monday, October 15, 2007

Pleasant surprise

I am currently reading Fairyville by Emma Holly. It was recommended by a friend who knew how much I love reading M/M fiction (not that I didn't already read EH ;) - loved her book Menage).
However, reading the blurb, would you have guessed that this book had a M/M relationship?

Zoe Clare is a medium who has no trouble communicating with the dead—or with real live fairies, for that matter! But she can't seem to get her feelings across to her landlord-slash-manager Magnus Monroe, Fairyville, Arizona's most eligible bachelor. She's tired of his erotic antics with every woman in town but her. So when her high school flame returns to town, Zoe is more than a little vulnerable to his charms. How Alex broke herheart is a scandal no one in Fairyville has forgotten. But even if Zoe isn't ready to forget, she's willing to forgive. The rules they're about to break will bring out the jealousy in Magnus—and the astounding truth.

A menage possibly comes to mind, but not that one of the main characters would be bi-sexual.(I don't want to ruin the story or the twists that are coming along with every chapter)
Then I found quite a few comments on Amazon about how readers enjoyed the story but the M/M scenes really weren't their 'cup of tea' and wished that they'd known about them. (and let me tell you that the sex scenes are graphic and wonderfully done *drool* )

Now, I'm only half way through the book (won't take me but another day to finish it at this rate) but have absolutely no complaints about it. Mainly because I was aware of the gay scenes and eager to read this book (so far it's hinting around to a possible menage or more *eyebrows waggling*)

My question to you...Do you feel that not informing the readers about same sex sex scenes deceitful? Do you think it would gain or lose readers? Or perhaps have no effect at all? Have you as a reader come across other books that have done this?

I just thought it was an interesting situation and wanted to know how others would feel.

6 comments:

Sabrina Luna said...

Oh Marty --you lucky duck! I've been dying to read this book since I heard about it! (Did I hear about it here???)

I'm like you, I love MENAGE! It's one of favorite books & I was reading Emma Holly *before* the whole erotic romance wave too. ;)

As far as disclaimers, I'd say 'yes', maybe readers should be forewarned about the contents. Heck, I'll be honest, it might even make me *want* to read the book!

Since I write several erotic genres, including m/m, I've added "warning" content lines to my all the titles on my webpage. To warn? To entice? Who knows --but at least the reader knows a bit of what to expect.

Just my $1.01 --
Thx,
Sabrina )O(

Julie said...

At this point m/m is about all I read, so I probably would not have picked up Emma's book knowing this is her gereral genre. So I guess she would have lost a sale if there's others like me. Of course since it isn't her norm....maybe she'll make some new interest for the industry.

Barbara Sheridan said...

I think fr whatever number of readers the m/m might turn away it might also attract new readers to balance things out.

I'd never read Suzanne Brockmann till I heard the hoopla about her upcoming book and since then I've read two of her backlist where the gay characters were introduced & their story further told.

SB's boys are far too tame for my taste but I still want to pick up their story to see if things spice up even a little more.

Anonymous said...

Sabrina, you'll love Fairyville :) It's got het-M/M- AND menage. The best of all worlds *lol* I just finished it and had a hard time putting it down.

As for warnings...i too try to remember to put them in my promos and website so no reader could say they didn't know what they were getting

Anonymous said...

I believe Emma Holly may pick up some new readers with this book, Julie :)

I haven't read Brockman, Barbara...yet anyway. That series looks interesting and it's on my list...just lower than others. And yeah, spicy never hurt anyone *hee*

Julie said...

Yes, I do believe I'll need to add it to the to buy list! I love this blog, I learn a lot from here! Thanks ya'll!

Related Posts with Thumbnails