Sunday, December 21, 2008

I have a little dreidel.

On the first night of Hanukkah my true love gave to me...





... a cute naked boy in a menorah costume. Ah, creativity! He looks really happy about his candles.

Tonight is indeed the first night of Hanukkah. My husband is working, so I'll be lighting my candles by myself. Tomorrow night is the decided "family night" at my parents' house to have dinner (latkes, yum) and exchange gifts. It would be nice if my family could get together on all eight nights, but with jobs and wives and husbands and driving distances, it's not possible. So, just one night together, and then we'll all light our respective menorahs in our own homes for the remaining nights.

This would be a really good time for me to recommend Keira Andrews' books Eight Nights and Daybreak. The story of Nate and Lucas and what it's like growing up in a nice Jewish family. I've read both, and they're terrific.

Oh, this post has no real man content, you say? Sorry, I blame the random on the party I went to last night where I filled myself with holiday cheer, AKA the jug of vodka that had pineapple pieces soaking in it for three weeks prior to the party. It was like straight pineapple juice, my friends. Even the most seasoned Slash and Burn blogger would not have been immune.

Of course, just being a Slash and Burn blogger means I'm always on the lookout for slashy moments, and this party was filled with them. The boys who were joyously hugging each other after their turn playing Rock Band. The boys who shared a beer and were very adorable in passing the bottle back and forth. The boys who were sitting around the firepit, talking seriously, heads close together and legs touching.

It's Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Yule, and Las Posadas. It's the holidays. May your days be slashy and bright.


4 comments:

Keira Andrews said...

I think "May your days be slashy and bright" is my new favourite holiday message.

So glad you enjoyed my books, and thank you, Tory! Mazel Tov.

Tory Temple said...

You're quite welcome, my dear. They were excellent. Chag sameach!

Anonymous said...

Almost finished Daybreak and loving it. Stayed up far to late last night read it!!!

Merry Christmas from me. :)

Tory Temple said...

Glad you're enjoying it! Be sure and email Keira to let her know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails