Monday, February 11, 2008

Entertaining Yourself In The Dark

I did not know if I was going to be able to make my scheduled post today. The power has been off and on for the last twenty-four hours, and it was pretty much dead for about thirteen of them. Thankfully, power was finally restored at one am this morning.

With all that time to sit around in the dark, I did a lot of reading (thank goodness for flashlights) and thinking about what people used to do before electricity was invented. You never really think about how much power you use until it's gone and you're stuck roaming around the house with glass lanterns. I managed to scare the hell out of myself with a Bentley Little book, and then hid under the covers so the boogey man wouldn't get me. :)

What do you do to entertain yourself when modern conviences are gone?

1 comment:

Maia Strong said...

This will sound odd to some, but when the power goes out it's a rare, rare treat to me. It almost never happens at my house. (Now watch. A sudden windstorm will wipe out the neighbourhood.) When it does, well, there are oodles of candles and double-oodles of books. There's also a solar/wind-up radio, which is nice because you can potentially catch an update of when your power might come back on. And of course there's always the sexy hubby to snuggle up with. ;->

Related Posts with Thumbnails