Tuesday, October 20, 2009

New (old) way to write

On the weekend I visited family and left my laptop at home to give my repetitive strain syndrome a break. Of course, an idea for a new book bloomed, so I borrowed a notebook and pen and started writing the old-fashioned way.

I can't remember the last time I wrote on paper (high school, perhaps?) but since I've been home I've continued it each night. I write all day at work, and during the week I find it next to impossible to work on my books in the evenings. Not only because my hands hurt, but because my brain is fried and looking at a computer screen is the last thing I want to do.

However, I've been sitting up in bed with the notebook for half an hour or so before I go to sleep, and I'm finding it a really relaxing and enjoyable way to end the day. This pen and paper thing is revolutionary!

Does anyone else write the old-fashioned way? Not that I'm giving up my computer (it would have to be from my cold, dead, gnarled hands), but I think I've found a way to keep the creative juices flowing during the week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out JCP's LJ page. She even busts out the butcher paper... o_0

Maia Strong said...

I keep a notebook and pen on my nightstand for those nights when a bit of dialogue or whatnot comes to mind but I can't be bothered to get out of the cozy bed to type it up. Those snippets are never as good when you just try to remember them, you know? Or maybe that's just me and my crappy memory.

Diane S. said...

I write best on paper, then transfer it to the 'puter. I also write best sitting in a certain bar. And I don't drink.

Keira Andrews said...

I'm not even sure what butcher paper is! Will have to investigate. ;)

Maia, I agree -- I can rarely remember things as well the next day. I've had to turn on the light and scribble down lines because I know in the morning I won't get it right.

So you find the bar inspirational, Diane? I need peace and quiet, and sometimes alcohol. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails