Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Getting my thanks on

It's almost Thanksgiving here in the US. A lot of friends of mine have been doing a thanks-a-day sort of thing over on Facebook. I'm not so organized. I'm thankful for a lot of things in my life, but I'm not conditioned to ponder upon and list these things. Everything that comes to mind sounds fine in my head, but put out there in print just looks trite to me. Other people's thankful posts don't bug me; only my own do. I know. Cynical much? I'm going to try hard now to set aside my deep and abiding cynicism and produce a list of things for which I am genuinely thankful. Let's see how well I do.

  • My family and friends (That's sort of a given, isn't it? --See? I already feel silly and predictable.)
  • My home and my kitties (Again, that's obvious, right? --Shut up, inner monologue! You aren't helping.)
  • Creativity (This encompasses so many things: writing; theatre; cooking/baking; dancing... --Okay. I think I'm getting a little better at this.)
  • eBooks (My publishers and editors; self-publishing options; readers (both the electronic and the human kind); my beta readers; my critique partner; friends who help me decipher the insanity that is Photoshop...)
  • First-world problems (There's a light out under my microwave; The organic bananas at the store are much too green; My car needs a new headlight...)

You know what? For someone who pretty much only makes lists for grocery shopping, I think I did okay.
 
Is there anything you're especially thankful for that you'd like to share? Please post it in the comments. And Happy Thanksgiving! Even if you're not celebrating an official holiday. :-D

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails