Sunday, February 28, 2010

Last day of February can only mean spring is on the way. Since southern California has been drenched by rain, rain, and more rain for the entire "season" of winter, I say bring on March. (Facetious quotation marks because California doesn't really have seasons. We have rain and sun, the end.) Although there is that dreaded "spring forward" time change to contend with. Hooray, more daylight! Boo, less sleep! It's a trade off.

I was thinking today about co-writing. I'm taking the very first steps to starting a venture with another author, and while we're excited about it, neither of us has done it before. Well, back in my fanfiction days, I wrote a couple of things with other authors, but that's not the same. So my question is, who's done it? How did you do it? Did you like it? Would you do it again? Man, I wish this thing had polls like Livejournal. ;)

Tell me your wonderful and awful co-writing experiences. I'm eager to hear.

6 comments:

Violet Summers said...

I write with a partner - quite successfully, too. What works for us is to timeline the story out, then break it up into chunks. Once we've decided who is writing which scenes, we pass it back and forth via email until it's done. I'm good at working out of order, but Sierra (my partner in crime) is much more linear and really has to go from beginning to end. I know that not everyone has such a "seamless" partnering, though!

VJ (one half of Violet Summers)

Tory Temple said...

I'm more like your partner. I need to do things in order, so I imagine this venture will be along the same lines. I've heard terrible stories about people with BAD co-writing experiences! Glad yours is successful.

Maia Strong said...

I've co-authored a fair amount of fanfiction. Mostly they've been round-robins where we would throw the story back and forth. Once, a friend and I actually co-wrote a piece, again sending the file back and forth over email, but rather than building it round by round, we worked together on most of the scenes. I like both ways, although I find round-robins (with the right writing partner) to be more fun. :-) I've been lucky in my co-writing ventures to have had great partners. The one I've written with most has actually been a writing partner since we were in high school together an ice age ago. LOL

I wish you best of luck in your co-authoring adventures, Tory!

Tory Temple said...

Thanks, Maia! My partner and I have known each other for a while and we're familiar with the other's writing style, which I can already tell will be helpful. I really enjoyed co-writing fanfiction, but there were times we were bound by character traits and personalities. Original fiction is much looser, so I'm looking forward to it. :)

Keira Andrews said...

I've only ever co-written that fanfic with you. I think it went well, what did you think? ;)

I look forward to hearing more about the new project!

Tory Temple said...

LOL, Keira. I happen to think it went swimmingly. ;)

Will keep you appraised of progress on new project. :D It involves theme parks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails