Monday, April 18, 2011

The Journey

It’s been almost a week since Detour released. For me it had been especially emotional since a little over a year ago I almost wasn’t here to see my book get published.

For a good while I’d toyed with the idea of writing in the m/m genre. I’ve read many great books and wondered if I to could write a book. I did start writing Detour but circumstances and other life things got in the way and I didn’t finish it. At least until after a very trying year which I almost didn’t make it through. I was at death’s door and furious at myself that I hadn’t pursed my dream of writing in the genre I love to read. I vowed then that if I made it I would live life to the fullest and stop putting it off and finish Detour and seriously purse writing in this genre I love reading.

This determination to survive to see more of life and write Detour fueled my recovery. Once I was able to sit for more than a few minutes without pain I set out to do what I promised myself. After everything I picked up Detour to continue. It was a journey for me. It was my way of reaffirming that I was here and that I would embrace every moment of life.

With each word of Detour I got such joy that I was finally doing what I had put off for so long. When I finally finished Detour I cried. Cried tears for completing this journey. Tears of happiness that I finally did it. Cried that no matter what anyone said or even if it didn’t get published I knew that I had actually done as I set out to do all those years ago. Finished Detour. After reading then self-editing and more editing I submitted the book and then went on to write the next. Detour was only the first I wanted to write. After receiving the offer for a contract from Dreamspinner Press to publish Detour I cried again. Detour would be published. Each step to publication was another in the journey, which culminated in the release of Detour last week.

Since the release I have had lots of wonderful emails and comments about the book. I treasure each - even those who didn’t enjoy the book. Each one is part of the journey. My journey is not that uncommon to many others. Many who are or were sicker than I. Some who are no longer here with us anymore. I am one of the lucky ones who can breath deep from the well of life. I am blessed with so many possibilities.

This is just the start of my journey that I plan to continue taking with hopefully lots of more books and living life. *raising a glass in a toast to life.* Life is a precious thing that none of us should ever take for granted. Make sure you go out today and do something you’ve always wanted to do. I’m going to do the same today.

Before I go I leave you with this song which words brought back memories that made me get a teary eyed smile. .

Talia Carmichael
http://taliacarmichael.com/
Fill Your Cravings

Blog: http://taliacarmichael.com/blog

Detour - An unexpected detour leads a straight-laced professor on a journey with a sexy cop that may change his life forever. Can Robert and Miguel steer a course through the detours life throws their way?

Buy here

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails