Thursday, August 23, 2007

Meet Paul and Darrien (and Laura)

Hi, everyone! I'm Laura Bacchi, and I'll be guestblogging on occasion here at Slash & Burn. To get to know me (and my writing), I'd like to share an excerpt from my new release, Any Ordinary Day, and kick off my guestblogging with a contest.

This novella was a lot of fun to write, and it was my first tale with a shifter for a main character. I'd like to hear your thoughts on shapeshifter M/M. Do you like shifters? Only like a certain kind? Even if shapeshifters aren't your thing, feel free to leave a comment here before 10 pm EST tonight and I'll pick a winner soon after for a $10 Loose Id gift certificate.

On any ordinary day, a guy like Paul Murray expects more shit from his boss, a new car repair bill, and another lonely night at home. But when his car dies during rush hour, he's rescued by a man who might just make him experience something extraordinary…in more ways than one.

Darrien Avanti has an agenda, and it doesn't include the sexy guy he picks up by a smoking Yugo on his way to Manhattan . Renegade dragons from his homeland have breached the Earth's surface in search of their own territory—and human flesh. It's Darrien's job to take them out before more people die. This isn't the time to think about sex, let alone take a mate, but everything about the Top Lander tells Darrien that Paul's the one.

Paul's day—and life—is about to become anything but ordinary.


Here's a short excerpt:

Darrien's voice dropped to a husky whisper. "You don't strike me as the controlling type."

"I'm not," I whispered back. But he was. I could smell it all over him. Once he got me back to my place, he'd take what he wanted from me.

And I would love every second of it.

His hand touched my temple, then cheek, his fingertips petal soft yet determined as he traced the landscape of my face. I actually shivered. His finger trailed over my lips. I opened for him and lapped at the pad of it with my tongue. The finger went deeper.

"No, you're not the controlling type at all." He forced my head back and added another finger to my mouth. His lips brushed my hair, his words hot mist on my ear and neck.

"Show me how you're going to suck me, Paul."

I leaned toward the hand twisting in and out of my mouth. His other hand pressed into my forehead and held me tight. Another finger inside now, all three splaying wide and pushing against my tongue. My right hand snuck down to my dick. I had to unzip, had to relieve my erection from the confinement of my jeans before the zipper became permanently etched into the base of my cock.

His hands retreated. "Let's get you home. The Jag's a rental."

"Don't worry," I whispered. "I'd lick it off the upholstery. For you."

He seemed in control up to that point. Those last words? They got him. They got him good. His gaze burned into mine before he fired up the engine and peeled out of the parking garage. We made it back to my place in record time. Our clothes came off in record time too--hell, I didn't even stop to turn on a light--and my cat narrowly missed being hit by a flying jacket, Armani by the looks of it.

"Oh, shit," he said. He let go of me to check on Priscilla. "Sorry, little one."

Priscilla hopped up out of harm's way and settled on the kitchen counter to watch.

"Don't worry," I said. "She's got nine lives."

"Nine lives? Lucky fucker." Darrien chuckled. "We only get seven ..."

* * *

I hope you enjoyed a little taste of this novella. If you'd like more than a nibble, check out this chapter at Loose Id. Thanks, Mandi (and everyone) for allowing me to guestblog. And many thanks to Anne for the awesome cover!

17 comments:

Amanda Young said...

Welcome to the blog, Laura. And since I've already read Any Ordinary Day (and loved it) I can honestly say that you all should go out and buy a copy right now. It has a different feel to it than your run of the mill paranormal story, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the world Laura's created.

Hmm.. guess I should ask first... Are you going to write more about your dragons, Laura?

ingrid said...

Just finished it today, I liked it!

Laura Bacchi said...

Thanks again, Amanda! Yes, I think we need to know what happens when Darrien takes Paul underground. How will he adjust? And I'm thinking Torin needs to hook up with someone too. But what I'm plotting right now is how Shaum met Zhang Wei. This will be the first time a dragon meets a human - at least on friendly terms - and I want to focus on building this world more than I could in just a novella.

Thank you, Ingrid - glad you like it! I was worried about the dual first-person, but no one has complained... yet :)

T.A.Chase said...

Laura,

I bought AOD this morning and instead of doing any work, I read your story. :) Really great stuff and I can't wait to read more about your dragons.

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love shifters...i don't think i've met one yet that i didn't like. However, sex in shifted form can be a little icky sometimes - depends on the situation.

I;m looking forward to getting this book (I love Loose Id, but my cc cringes when I visit *lol*)

Ana M.

lrhubble said...

This sounds great. I love shifters of any sort. :-)

Jaden Isabella said...

Hello!

I *love* shifters! I must admit to never having read any dragons though (weird, since I love dragons).... ^^;

This sounds great; I look forward to reading! :)

Cherie J said...

I love shapeshifter stories! Especially dragon ones. This story sounds really good!

Caffey said...

Hi Laura! Great to know you'll be here today and more often too! I'm new to this blog but not the books/authors listed on the side here, nor to your books, so I'm thrilled to be here today :)

My first experience reading shapeshifters were werewolves. I had thought that Vampires were included since they did some 'shifting' but they aren't right? I'm so still learning! I love reading and finding out even more that I don't know. I have read a shapeshifter of a thunderbird and it too included an American Indian theme and it was so fastinating! So when I think of shapeshifters, I think of the uniqueness of them and the more I read, the more I enjoy them. If werewolves is shapeshifter, thats one I do love to read! Too Dragons! Another new one for me! So its hard to pick just one!

Whats it mean to be a 'renegade dragon'? I'm already finding this so fastinating from the cover to the blurb to the excerpt. I for one can't wait to read this one!

Julie said...

This book sounds thrilling! I'm headed over to Loose to get it now with all the raves I've read! :o)
Thanks for the posting.

Laura Bacchi said...

Thanks, everyone :)Sorry it kept you from your work, T.A., but I'm so glad you liked it!

Hi Ana - I guess it's a tough call for the writer, since what squicks her or him may not match the reader's preferences. It's hard for the writer - stay on safe territory or push the envelope. Sorry about your credit card! But I hope you enjoy AOD if you get a chance to read it :)

Hi Cathie - I'm glad you found your way here! The thunderbird story sounds great. As for the renegade dragons... they simply won't stay underground in their own world. Plus, now that they're out, they eat humans.

Cathy M said...

I love shifter stories, though I don't think I have read any m/m shifter storylines lately. Really enjoyed the excerpt.

Unknown said...

This sounds great! Love any kind of shifter story.

Laura Bacchi said...

It's 10:38 EST and time to pick a winner... Congratulations to Cathy (last post)! Please email me at laura@laurabacchi.com and I'll make arrangements for the gift certificate to be sent tomorrow morning. I hope you enjoy what you pick at Loose Id!

And thanks again to everyone for commenting on my first post here :) I really enjoyed it!

Laura Bacchi said...

Oops - I guess I was posting as you were Amy. That makes Cathy the next to last post LOL

Thanks, Amy!

Babe King said...

No, not into m/m, but shifters are interesting. :-)

Cathy M said...

Thanks Laura. Will have fun spending it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails